Monday, November 5, 2007

New Accent, RAD!

I read an article about this boy who survived a bought of spinal meningitis. Because of the meningitis he did have to go through brain. Once he woke from surgery he had a brand new accent. Now I think this is totally awesome. I feel bad that the kid had to become severely ill, but I think he was rewarded with something really bad ass, a poshy new British accent.

The article went on to discuss how this is not an isolated case, rather this happens, rarely, but none the less it happens. This phenomenon is called” Foreign Accent Syndrome” clever name, huh? This syndrome affects persons whom have had major brain trauma to the speech (Broca’s area) and facial movement areas of the brain. Strokes also induce this syndrome.

This article relaxes me in the sense that if I were to ever stroke out or have some type of traumatic brain injury and survive, I just might get lucky enough to recover my German and be freakishly awesome with some mad bilingual skillz.

No comments: