Sunday, April 1, 2007

I am a farm gal at heart

Today I experienced something that I never thought I would experience. Are you ready to know what I experienced? Sure you are you wouldn’t still be reading if you weren’t. Today I gave CPR to a baby chicken. That is right folks, humanitarian Kat put her lips to the beak of a drown baby chick. One word: Sexy.

Now you are probably asking yourself several questions:

  1. Are you up to date with your rabies shots?
  2. Where did you find a baby chick?
  3. How did the chick drown?

Megan my cousin and myself decided to head down to our Uncle Bert’s farm in the south valley to see all of the new babies that have popped out to greet the spring weather. We were sitting out with Uncle Bert when Megan noticed that one of the baby chickens that were pecking around had gone MIA. She asked, “Where is the other chick”? Bert responded he is probably drowning in the goat’s water trough. I stood up and walked over there with much trepidation about what I was about to see. Well low and behold there was the little fellow bobbing, lifelessly in the water trough. My first instinct was to scoop him up and start mouth to beak. WEIRD! I blew air into his little beak and then squeezed his little chest several times. At this point Uncle Bert was telling me to bring him over and was starting the car, while Megan was getting a towel from the house. Uncle Bert cranked the heater in the car, wrapped the little guy who now appeared to be shallowly breathing in the towel and placed him on the dash near the heater. He explained that chickens don’t really drown, they suffer rapid hypothermia that paralyses them and then they drown because they are no longer staying afloat from their fluttering, because duh they can no longer flutter. After several minutes in the car the little chick opened his eyes (and probably thought to himself “shit bitch what is this, hell?) We moved him from the car to a nice sunny patch on top of the grain cooker and there he stayed for the next twenty minutes. After twenty minutes he was completely dry and ready to join his mother and his sibling. He appeared to be just fine though he had just narrowly dodged death.

Megan and I named him Jesus "Gomez" Chrichick after all it is Palm Sunday.

No comments: