Friday, April 13, 2007

Wants? Needs? Why’s? Oye, the questions!

What is the world coming to?
Lesbian communities perk thy ears. Doctors can now make ‘sperm’ out of bone marrow. That means you and your partner do not need a donor and the infant will truly be a part of you both. Sexy!
I have to ponder. Why do we do these things?
In the words of Fiona Apple expressing her breaking of men’s hearts her reasons for doing so: just because she can
Are we a society that does things just because we can’?
Do we function as a society and civilization because we can or because we want to?
I am thinking because we can. We have enabled ourselves thus so far.
What happened to the want in life?
In the words of Eric Cartman: “I do what I want”
I want to love you because I can (see we don’t need to do away with can all together)
But then again how do we know what we really want?
I want a cookie. Is that really a want or a dire need?
Yes, a need, there I said it. Let me explain, I say need because we need the glucose to feed our brains so that we can breath and our hearts can pump and we can drive the few blocks to Flying Star to get that cookie that we need the glucose from. Interesting to think about, no?
So is life then just really about needs?
So, if it is all about needs then I question again: Why do we want?
The book I am reading “Stumbling on Happiness” that details why we want things, and how this wanting of things, and then the inevitable satisfaction of having these things doesn’t please use. He connects it all to the fact that we have Frontal lobe function which separates us from the chimps, snails and finches.. Our frontal lobes allow us the ability to constructively plan for possible future events and to put expectations of ourselves in the future right before our eyes (well actually right behind them, tee hee hee. Gosh! I am geek for neurology). Fascinating shit I tell you.
When I heard the title of this fine book I was a little scared that it was a self-help book because of the title. And boy! I am too young and awesome to read self-helps books, just yet. (Now that I cleared that up) bestestest book I have picked up in awhile.
Thanks for reading about my crazy thoughts.

No comments: