Saturday, June 23, 2007

The B.S.S.

I don’t know what it is exactly about the Broken Social Scene, but they pull at my heartstrings. I am not sure if it is their lyrics, musicianship, or the fact that they are Canadian. I first discovered them when I was in the height of my obsession with Brian Kinney a.k.a Gale Harold from Queer As Folk. The song ‘Lover’s Spit’ came on during a particularly romantic scene. Something about the song just resonated with me. Lover’s Spit is terribly perfect and romantic. After the episode was over I went to my computer and typed in the lyrics. I searched and searched to find out; who is this band, what is the name of the song? Finally, I was successful. I viewed, I heard, I searched, I conquered. It wasn’t until a few weeks later that I realized they had been under my nose the entire time…well in all actuality about 6ish months. My precious MP3 collection that Eric gave me for Christmas about 6ish months prior had on it one of their albums.
Then!
Yes, there is more coincidence. I was flipping through magazines that I had been saving (yes I am strange like that) and came across Spin magazines underdog issue from June 2004. Guess who was featured as an underdog, yep that is right you guessed it the Broken Social Scene.
For your ocular and auditory pleasure:
Lover’s Spit

Anthems for a 17 Year Old Girl

Pitter Patter Goes My Heart

No comments: